Herrenchiemsee Palace - Versailles garden in the German island

By zerrinhosgor - 8/04/2011 02:49:00 AM

Herrenchiemsee Palace
Herrenchiemsee Palace
It was a sunny day and taking a boat trip was so good. I reached to the island after 15 min. long trip. I had no idea about places that I would see in the island. When you arrive there, first you see the tourist information and ticket office. You need to buy a ticket to visit the palace located in the island, but I didn’t prefer to visit inside of it and I started to walk to the place where the palace located. You confront with some signs reminding to buy the ticket, before you reach the palace. Because you can't buy it in the palace or another place and you need to walk 15-20 minutes to reach palace from ticket office. If you decide to visit the palace, you need to turn back or you can't visit. Therefore I hesitated a little, but then I went on... 

Herrenchiemsee Palace
Herrenchiemsee port
Herrenchiemsee
Horse carriage in the island
The island is covered lots of trees, green and wild spaces. I was walking through the jungle and I didn't know what I would see at the end of the route... There were horse carriages as an option but I walked as always. When I arrived to the palace, I was shocked. Because I hadn’t read about the palace and garden before.
Herrenchiemsee
The route to the Herrenchiemsee
Herrenchiemsee Palace park was a model of the gardens of the Versailles Palace. King Ludwig II of Bavaria had purchased the Chiemsee island and a plan was made for this park. There were symmetrical planted parts and fountains and the main axis from the palace was reaching to the see. This included the "parterre d'eau" towards the west, consisting of two large basins with the surmounted statues of Fama and Fortuna expressly requested by Ludwig II to highlight the mythological effect, the flower parterre with the Latona fountain and the "Grand Canal", in front of whose mirror surface an Apollo fountain was to rise up.


Herrenchiemsee Palace
Herrenchiemsee Palace
     
Herrenchiemsee Palace
Herrenchiemsee Palace

Herrenchiemsee Palace
Herrenchiemsee Palace

Herrenchiemsee Palace
Herrenchiemsee Palace - Grand canal

Herrenchiemsee Palace
Latona fountain in Herrenchiemsee
This garden was really a surprise for me. I came here to see one of the famous and big lakes –Chimsee- for its natural beauty. Then I learned that there was an island and all of the tourists visited there, so I took a boat trip to see it. And I found a great model of the gardens of Versailles palace. It was a good present for a landscape architect to find a planned garden in an island spontaneously. Maybe a professional instinct attracted me to Prien am Chimsee:))

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments