STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN... The Great Example of Sustainable Way of Living...

By zerrinhosgor - 9/08/2017 02:00:00 PM


Stockholm, Sweden
I had dreamt about Scandinavia for a long time. I planned, researched, canceled and planned again most of the times. But this time I found a great deal to realize my travel to Sweden. It was always different from the other European countries for me, and yes it was.

Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
After reading lots of blogs and travel suggestion to plan my trip, I was a bit stressed to sustain my travel expenses in Stockholm.  Because lots of them had mentioned about Sweden as an expensive country. But when it is planned in detail, it is possible to find great opportunities and best deals, so it was not as bad as I expected.

Stockholm is seen from the airplane as a sum of scattered land pieces :)... It was also interesting to see the considerable number of ferries traveling from Stockholm to the other coastal cities such as Tallinn or Helsinki on the Baltic Sea.

I traveled to Stockholm in May and it was the ideal time to taste the city. You live each day as two days. The first part of the day is for your museum visits or visits limited by strict times and the second part of the day starting at 5.00 pm is for strolling, losing yourself in the city streets, relaxing in cafes and restaurants. So it was enough to plan 3 days trip to Stockholm.

As a first impression, I should mention about friendly and helpful Stockholmers, regular city life, beautiful and useful coastlines, open and green spaces refreshing you. Stockholmers take advantage of Stockholm's archipelago and the seaside. Urban design encourages the relationship between people and the sea. There are numerous trips around the collection of islands just an hour or two away from Stockholm.

Stockholm, Sweden
I would like to spend my trip with local people and learn much more things about their local lives in Scandinavia. So I met a friend from the Couchsurfing site. She was really kind, helpful and thoughtful during my stay at her house. When I arrived her house, she welcomed me with a cup of hot tea. We talked about the city and the daily life, not only their opportunities to live in a sustainable city but also difficulties of living in a Nordic city such as severe winter cold and short daylight.

Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
I had researched about sustainability issues in my Ph.D. thesis and most of the times I came across Stockholm as one of the best examples. After I visited the city, I must confess that it was literally true. Sustainability was a way of life for Swedes. They use efficient sustainable transport modes such as subways, buses, trams, commuter trains and of course bikes. One does not feel the impress of the car usage. They care about recycling for their domestic wastes as I experienced at first hand. There are lots of recreational sites where people can relax and refresh themselves in their daily routine. Life seems regular, peaceful, safe and people are friendly, well-educated, helpful.

By the way, I would like to share the largest urban project called  "Hammarby Sjostad" which is a district has been planned using eco cycle approach and environmentally sensitive construction and living. I had a plan to visit there during my trip, but on the way to Hammarby, I confronted with a very beautiful city park and I spent some time there:) then it was a bit late to visit this district and I missed my chance for this time :(. So I saved this place for my next trip.

After visiting most of the European cities, I overdosed myself with museums and touristy places, so from now on I changed my mind and try to experience local life, feel the real city and observe the people's routines in the cities. I aimed to start my mission in Stockholm and I was content with this situation. But I must confess that it didn't work, there were attractive must-see museums and places which are particular ones and shouldn't be ignored, so I think a few museum visits couldn't be bad.;). 

For my detail notes about attractions in Stockholm.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments