LA LOUVIERE: Ascenseurs Hydrauliques du Canal du Centre Historique Hainaut

By zerrinhosgor - 1/07/2010 02:23:00 PM



Ascenseurs Hydrauliques“Historic canal of the centre” should be the most interesting and amazing landscape feature I had seen in Belgium. It was really amazing. The day we went there, we had planned to go to Bruges, but after long trips in Belgium we couldn’t get up early and we decided to spend the day in sites close to Mons. I should mention that the people(one of my mother’s close friends and her family) hosting me in their home were really nice people and wanted to show me lots of places according to my interest as much as they can do during my short trip. And that day we started the day a little bit late and I had an idea about riding bicycle. Then they brought me to that nice place near the canal. It was very green and calm and there were long trails to ride bicycle in a very peaceful and fascinating landscape.
Ascenseurs Hydrauliques -La louviere

La louviereLa louviereAscenseurs Hydrauliques
At first I couldn’t get it, when they tried to tell me about the lifts for ships. What kinds of lifts? Why is it necessary? Because, I hadn’t seen above parts of the canal. But it was my lucky day and I had a chance to see the action of a boat. It was really interesting and this was a good example of industrial heritage. Then I learned that the "Historic Canal du Centre" and its old-century lifts were classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Ascenseurs Hydrauliques

There are four lifts in different elevation. Each of those lifts, the only ones in the world still in use, is able to compensate for a change in level of about 17 meters thanks to a single source of energy: water !

While we were cycling on the trails continuing along the canal, I could see those four elevators. And it was really interesting to see this cultural heritage which you feel the difference of levels. You ride on sloping trails and on above level you see the standing water again. The landscape and seeing this level was great.
Ascenseurs Hydrauliques

The oldest construction on the site, hydraulic lift no. 1, welcomes you to a fun exhibition, "engineer Clarck's remarkable machine", where you will discover the history of the lifts and how they work through original documents from the era (maps, plans, etc.) as well as modern, interactive media.
.
La LouviereThere are a whole range of possibilities available allowing you to discover all the treasures of this exceptional days for infant and primary classes, and of course the cruises that include the chance to take a ride with this timeless structures. Yes, I must confess that cycling was a good opportunity to discover the site while doing our daily sport:)...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments